Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Great Expectations


I love this time in Advent. As a child; however, it was always the most difficult. Every Sunday I would watch as one more candle was lit on the Advent wreath. With each new candle burning, I knew that Christmas day was approaching! I can remember the tingling feeling I experienced inside as I was both hopeful and expectant that Christmas was within view.

As an adult, something powerful still takes residence in my soul this time of year. Every Sunday as I experience the lighting of the Advent candle, I am reminded of God's promises to us. I am reminded that we should not only watch in belief, but to wait with great expectation! Something miraculous is coming.

"But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid; for see-I am bringing you good news of great joy for all people.'" NRSV

I love this version as it says, "I am bringing". God is in the process of working, bringing, renewing, sustaining, providing, and redeeming. It is not that we wait hoping. We wait believing, knowing that God "is bringing" something holy and mysterious to us.

"Come, thou long expected Jesus,
Born to set thy people free;"

What do you wait for today with great expectations?


L and Sparkfly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home