Friday, July 20, 2007

perpetual motion

Elba, AL is a quaint town in south Alabama. I've been here since Wednesday night working with Covenant Community Church on a maternal health initiative. This Sunday I preach on Luke 10:38 - 42. In preparation for the sermon I read a great paragraph from the IVP Women's Bible Commentary.

"Luke is a book of journeys, but it is also a book that recognizes the importance of hospitality. The homeless and the travelers have need of shelter and of a caring reception at the end of the day. In accounts of the early church we are made especially aware of the women who received traveling evangelists into their homes . . . Theirs was the responsibility not only to provide food and housing for the itinerant missionary but also to assess the message that was brought. This required that the women must be carefully taught and possess a strong understanding of the fundamentals of the gospel." pg. 574

Lately I've been an itinerant minister. A lot of time is spent in my car. I'm thankful for those who house me along the way (Lauran, Tamara, Meg, Kate, LeAnn, Janet, Lori, Traci, Valerie and Allan, and . . . ). We truly are partners in ministry.
S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home