Monday, October 23, 2006

A Few of Our Favorite Things

It is the last week of October and Sparkfly share time. Over the next five days we will explore a few of our favorite things. Today's topic is favorite movies and/or favorite quotes from movies.

Iron Jawed Angels - Fabulous movie about our sister suffragettes in the early1900s. The women portrayed in this film remind us that a grass roots campaign, of any kind, can make a difference. Every voice counts. Every vote counts and that should remind us to exercise the right at every election, making sure to vote our conscience. Watch this movie. It is powerful. Scenes to watch for: When the older women steal the younger women's money and kick them out of the organization. When Alice Paula and Lucy Burns discuss marriage.
Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood - This movie is just plain fun to watch. However, be prepared for some serious and violent content. In the end, Divine Secrets is about forgiveness and redemption.
Favorite lines: "How about some shrimp for supper?" and "Mary, mother of the motherless, can you see me? I'm here. It's me again. I need Divine intervention once again." PS - The books are even better than the movie (Little Altars Everywhere and Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood)
S

Inn of the Sixth Happiness - This 1958 film is based on the real life events of the missionary Gladys Aylward. As a young, single woman, Gladys feels a deep call from God to be a missionary in China. Despite the many obstacles she faces with a mission board, Gladys Aylward (played by Ingrid Bergman) finds a way to support herself and achieve her life-long dream and calling. This is a moving story about one woman’s dream to listen to God and follow, no matter the cost.
Madea’s Family Reunion - This 2006 film starring Atlanta’s own, Tyler Perry is an absolute must see! Madea’s Family reunion is a comedy and a drama wrapped into one that will leave you laughing hysterically one moment and crying the next. Madea is the grandmother and matriarch of an African American family. Throughout the movie, Madea seeks to help members of her family as they struggle with difficult inner city issues as well as those in her family who live as the elite. The movie has too many life lessons to count! After seeing this film, you feel as you’ve just “had church” and you will be sure to find yourself in one of the dynamic characters! Watch and enjoy!
L

What are your favorite movies and quotes? Please post them in a comment for future viewing enjoyment.

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

My FAVORITE movie is Walk the Line, but my favorite movie quote at the moment is from another Reese Witherspoon movie, Sweet Home Alabama.

Reese's character is trying to decide which of the two incredibly attractive men who happens to be in love with her she should marry (must be tough) and her dad tells her, "You can't ride two horses with one @$$, Sugar Bean." Funny, and true.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I must say that I am not one for watching movies over and over...so I rarely have one that's my favorite! My favorite quote from a movie comes from a random movie called "The Other Side of Heaven" which Disney made about a mormon missionary who goes to a Pacific Island nation on assignment. His girlfiend writes him a letter and says "The scriptures say that to find your live you must lose it. I urge you on in that quest. Go ahead, lose your life. And find it again so that when you come home to me you will be closer to the person that God has created you to be." Yeh, I know its cheesy...but its a great movie about getting into a different culture.

10:19 AM  
Blogger the hero formerly known as super said...

Again, my favorites change, but here are some of the top:

Crash
"It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something."--excellent quote, excellent film.

American Beauty
"It's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday."--yeah, it's depressing (not to mention unwholesome, to say the least), but I think it says a lot about how empty life is when you fail to see the beauty that surrounds you everyday. I think I'm one of the few people I know who love this film.

Thelma & Louise
There are so many good quotes in this one, but this is my favorite:
"You've always been crazy, this is just the first chance you've had to express yourself."

Mulan
"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."

Big Fish
"I've been nothin' but myself since the day I was born, and if you can't see that it's your failin', not mine."

. . . and the list could go on and on.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

My Favorites right now...

Little Women
Perhaps one of my favorite scenes in the movie is when jo is not happy with her life at home and is trying to decide what to do...
{Marmee} "Oh, Jo. Jo, you have so many extraordinary gifts; how can you expect to lead an ordinary life? You're ready to go out and - and find a good use for your talent. Tho' I don't know what I shall do without my Jo. Go, and embrace your liberty. And see what wonderful things come of it."..Make me miss my mom everytime...we had so many conversations so similar to this one!

Diary of a Mad Black Woman & Madea's Family Reunion
There are tons of good quotes in these!

Finding Neverland, Mona Lisa Smile, and Memoirs of a Geisha

9:59 AM  
Blogger Mandy Mc said...

Oddly enough the movie that always cheers me up is SHAG. Yes, I am confessing this to all of you! This movie is plagued with southern stereotypes and since it is set in the summer of 1963 it comes with all of that baggage too. So, all of that to say don't think about this one too deeply because it is easy to get offended by it. That being said, however, it has some great moments about relationships between girlfriends, growing up, expectations, unfair stereotypes of women, etc. It is probably my favorite movie of all time (and I don't like to pick favorite ANYTHING as those of you who know me well know). So, a few of my favorite lines...

"If I'm not engaged by the time I'm twenty, I'm gonna kill myself." - Luanne

"It was our last weekend together, and we didn't feel like going to Fort Sumter and touring colonial homes. We wanted to go to the beach and meet boys and go to wild parties and dance." - Carson

Chip: "Lemme ask you something, sir. Has it been your experience that as soon as a woman knows you're in love with her, she starts treating you just like a dirtball?"
Luanne's father: "Every time, son, every time."
Chip: "I tried to be so cool this time. Just like Buzz. I never let on that I was crazy about her, like I definitely was not in love with her. But she knew. She looked right into my mind and she knew!"

"Now what would Scarlett O'Hara think of you doing 'As God is my Witness' in a polka dot bikini? Here, you'll wear my mama's hoop skirt." - Luanne

Buzz: "I'm Buzz Ravenal. Let's dance."
Carson: "I'm sorry, I'm engaged."
Buzz: "Well, I'm sorry you're engaged, too."

Fun times - now I want to watch it! But I do have some more "substantive" favorites!

From Little Women, Jo March says, "I find it poor logic to say that women should vote because they are good. Men do not vote because they are good; they vote because they are men, and women should vote, not because we are angels and men are animals, but because we are human beings and citizens of this country." Mr. Mayer responds, "You should have been a lawyer, Miss March." Then she replies, "I should have been a great many things, Mr. Mayer." Hmmm...to be so bold!

Mona Lisa Smile -

Katherine Watson: "I thought that I was headed to a place that would turn out tomorrow's leaders, not their wives."

I also like it when Joan shakes up our (my!) image of a housewife later in the movie..."Sure you did. You always do. You stand in class and tell us to look beyond the image, but you don't. To you a housewife is someone who sold her soul for a center hall colonial. She has no depth, no intellect, no interests. You're the one who said I could do anything I wanted. This is what I want."

Betty writes, "I dedicate this, my last editorial, to an extraordinary woman, who lived by example and compelled us all to see the world through new eyes...I've heard her called a quitter for leaving and aimless wanderer. But not all who wander are aimless, especially those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image. I'll never forget you."

Good stuff!

Ummm, other favorites that haven't been listed yet include Ten Things I Hate About You (yes, I confess there is definitely a love of movies with strong female characters!), Bend it like Beckham, North Country, An Inconvenient Truth (not a "feel good" movie, but definitely a motivating one!), and Hotel Rwanda

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home