Monday, October 16, 2006

Building a Global Community

Alex Ellish Alexander is a South African who loves to travel. She and her husband Phil, a proud Irishman, moved to the International Baptist Theological Seminary in August. Alex is here to further her theological education and her goal to become a minister. I recently spoke with her about her dreams and goals for the future.

“I have difficulty in waiting for the answers. I’m sure they will come, but I want to know now.” Alex told me that some days she wishes for a “normal” life. “It would be great to have two kids and a dog. I could have a proper meal waiting for my husband at the end of the day. It would be a safe place.” Alex is describing the conflict that many women who are called to ministry feel. “There are split parts of me,” she said, “They are in conflict with no resolution in sight.”

Alex’s call is to the ministry and I believe she will do well blending the “split parts”. Ultimately, she is excited about her future. She’s enjoying her current class on Church and Society. “Being a Christian is not just about saying a little prayer. Being a Christian is primarily what you do about social justice in the world around you. It is about how we live day to day with those around us.”

When asked about her dreams she said, “I want to get to the end of my life and know I did the absolute best I could do and became the person God wanted me to be. I must always ask the questions, is [what I’m doing] worthwhile and will it make a difference? My dreams are about a way of being.”

I asked Alex if she could envision any position in the world what would it be? “I love community. People are changed when they belong somewhere. I want to be involved in a ministry that attracts people that need community and healing. As a minister within this community I wouldn’t be the only one with answers. Everybody would encircle each other and learn from each other. This is why I want to become a minister. The Church has amazing possibilities. The Church should be the fountain of justice, social action, love, and community.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home