Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Bravest Woman I Know

When thinking of international women whose stories have made a difference in my life, my friend Flower quickly comes to mind. Flower is from the country of Burma and because of repression by a military regime she was forced to flee her country and become a refugee in Thailand. Her story has taught me so much about what it means to be human.

Flower has also taught me the importance of solidarity and standing with someone even if it is the only tangible thing you can do for her - - especially if it is the only thing you can do for her. Flower has given me the honor of being her voice. She has asked me and others to speak on her behalf and on behalf of thousands of internally displaced and refugee women in Burma and Thailand. It is her voice I hear that reminds me to speak out on behalf of those who cannot speak for themselves.

Flower is brave and caring and creative. She will tell you that at times she is afraid, but I’ve never known her fear to disable her.

Various artists have recorded a CD in honor of Burma's democratically elected leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who remains under house arrest. Read the following story to learn more about issues Burmese women face: http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/2465/context/archive

S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home